Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Clay Boxes

Art II Clay Project

We don't have a kiln at my school yet so I only do one clay project a year right now because I have to take them to another school to fire them. So, I try to keep their projects kind of small. For my Art II class I had them  construct clay boxes. In the assignment they had to construct the clay box and create a theme for their boxes. To express their theme they had to have some sort of  3D element on each side of the box.


Materials:

  • Clay
  • Variety of clay tools (at least have some plastic knives to cut clay slabs)
  • Rolling pins
  • Paper towels
  • Water 
  • Rulers ( To measure out slabs)
  • Plastic bags to wrap up projects when students are not working
  • A kiln
  • Acrylic paint and brushes
  • Clear shiny acrylic spray  ( To finish project and make it shiny)



Student Examples 










1 comment: